Tuesday 25 August 2015

Log - Aug 24, 2015 - Race night and sailing with boom past 90

It's been a while since I took out a Laser, mostly because I've been catarmaraning (is that a word?) the past month or so.  Then the commodore of the club sent me a picture he had taken earlier this year of me in the old trusty single-hander... and all I could see were mistakes I was making

So, I decided to work on those.

Forecast: Light to Moderate winds, anywhere between 6 and 12 knots from SW

Observed: Very Light to Light winds, from WSW

Focus: I wanted to focus on getting the controls set correctly.  This would help me keep the boat flat, and reduce weather helm.  Everything else flows from there.

Pre-Race:
It was single-hander night at KSC, apparently.  Carla was in a Byte CII, Mike R and Ken E (and myself) in Lasers. Before the race, I was trying to get a hang on roll-tacks in the very light winds. I actually dry-dunked in about 4 knots trying to see how far I could heel the thing, but fortunately nobody saw it (or were too polite to say anything...)

Tony and Annie were in a H16, but the winds were light enough that they were not a factor.  Mike T was running RC with a nice short course (about 20 minutes per race with 6 legs- I pity the cat).  Also on the course, Hannah, Emily and Heidi in Optis!  Another post on that later... 

Before the race I had resolved to crank on the vang much more, and keep just enough curve in the outhaul to shape the sail.  I figured too tight (especially for the vang) was better than too loose, even though I do prefer a bit looser controls in very light air to keep the power up.  I also knew that tight controls would let me get the most out of any roll tacks I could pull off cleanly.

First Race:
I had a good start, with Mike and Carla to my port side (and behind!), and Ken to starboard.   I didn't have a good view of the mark prior to starting, so I didn't realize how much boat end was favoured.  Ken an I approached the mark on opposite tacks, and I had to bear off to duck him, as he had right of way.  I tacked right behind him, and Carla tacked within a couple inches of me.  I was able to put some distance between Carla and myself before rounding in second a few boat length behind Ken.

Ken was ridiculously good at defending and keeping his boat flat.  There was no passing him on either of the reaching legs, and he caught a couple of good gusts.  He was still a good two boat lengths ahead at the leeward mark.  Upwind, I was able to use roll tacks to play the shifts a bit better, and made up some distance.  We were both coming onto the windward mark on port, and I had to make a move.  I thought a header might be coming so I tacked early just as the shift hit and I was on the layline.  Ken waited a few more seconds before tacking, and was too far "up" the coarse.  This let me get inside him at the mark, and I was able to round first.  Downwind was nothing to write home about in the very light air (Ken was lighter, but I was able to heel more, reduce my wetted area and get more of the sail in the air, so we were about the same speed).  I blew the gybe and rounding the leeward mark, but had enough of a lead that Ken wasn't able to capitalize on it.  Me 1st, Ken 2nd, Carla 3rd, Mike 4th, Tony and Annie 5th.

Second Race: Everyone seemed to have a bad start.  It seemed everyone was tacking back and forth looking for air, and that was okay with me (I was starting to get the hang of the roll tacks).  Again, it came down to Ken and I in the lead.  This time I was able to get inside him at the 1st windward mark, and rounded 1st.  From there, it was a matter of defending.  I put about about a half of a boat between Ken and I for each of the reaching legs and again upwind.  Downwind, I got lucky, and caught a gust that no one else did.  The wind was really dying at this point, and I had a trick up my sleeve.
This is something else I've read about but have not been able to do successfully.  It's used when there is not enough wind to hold the boom out.  I let (or push) the sail out past 90 degrees (not as much as the diagram, but that's just an exaggeration), and heel the boat.  Because the boom is up in the air, it wants to fall down, but because the boom is in front of the mast the mainsheet holds it in place. This keeps the boom on the correct side of the boat, keeps the sail area high up in the air, and moves the centre-of-effort on the sail closer to the centreline of the boat (meaning less rudder has to be used.)  You can steer pretty effectively just be heeling more or less (more heel = bear off, less = head up).

The bad thing about this technique is that any lateral forces on the sail either hit the front of the sail, slowing you down, or add to the heeling force, possibly putting you in the water.  If the wind picks up, or the direction becomes shifty, you're better to sheet in lest you get into a death-roll situation.

The technique seemed to work, at least last night.  I was able to put several boat lengths between Ken (who was sailing his boat flat) and I, and rounded the leeward mark with tons of time to spare.  Another bullet!  Actually, placement for everyone was the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment